10 Foods That Build Muscle
When it comes to building muscle mass, nutrition comprises about 70% of results. Sure, you have to hit the gym for sessions of intense weight training, but after you’ve broke down your muscle fibers, they have to be repaired and increased through a nutritious diet.
Of course, protein is well known for being a muscle builder and you should consume at least 2 grams of this muscle food per pound of body weight. However, you also use up a great deal of energy which needs to be replaced, so you need to include foods rich in complex carbohydrates as well. Filling a healthy diet with these and other important nutrients will ensure you bulk up on both muscle and fuel so you can keep on truckin’.
To help you along, we’re providing you with a list of the top 10 foods that build muscle fast.
1. Lean Beef – Red meats are loaded with protein as well as other muscle-building nutrients like iron, zinc and B12. Just be sure to choose lean cuts or remove excess fat before preparation.
2. Turkey and Chicken – Both of these should be a staple in a bodybuilding diet. Not only do they add variety to a nutritious meal, but they supply good portions of protein for accelerated muscle growth. Choose turkey more so over chicken as it is leaner.
3. Eggs – Don’t forget the bird eggs which are also high in protein. Eggs can be prepared numerous ways and are good for both meals and snacks. Especially focus on eating plenty of egg whites, but eat whole eggs in moderation as too many yokes can elevate your cholesterol.
4. Fish – All types of fish contain high protein amounts as well as being excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids. For the most protein, choose the larger species of fish such as mackerel and salmon. Tuna, anchovies and sardines make great snack selections!
5. Beans and Legumes – All beans and legumes provide a good source of protein as well as adding variety to meals due to there being so many variations.
6. Yogurt – Yogurt is an important food to include in a muscle-building diet. Just be sure to select the kinds that include live cultures and are low-fat and low-sugar. The cultures aid in digesting protein and breaking it down sufficiently so it can be rushed to those growing muscles.
7. Quinoa – This food from South America is an excellent protein source as well as a good selection for high-carb diets. Quinoa (keen-wah) provides that coveted one-two punch of high protein and carbohydrates craved by growing muscle mass.
8. Almond Nut Butter – This tasty treat contains a rich supply of protein and is high in magnesium as well.
9. Hummus – Hummus is a spread made from chickpeas and tahini (a paste made from sesame seeds) and is quite nutritious. Hummus is high in protein provided by the chickpeas and is accentuated by methionine, an amino acid supplied by the tahini. It also is a great food for obtaining vitamin C, iron and zinc. Zinc also plays an important part in muscle growth as it promotes protein synthesis in cells.
- 10. Sunflower Seeds – Add plenty of these little nuggets to soups and salads and eat handfuls for snacks. Sunflower seeds contain a whopping 25g of protein per a 100g serving.
Muscle Prodigy Products
- Basic Information
- Related Articles
Date Published : 2012-02-03 14:00:01
Written By : Rod White
- Most Read
- Just Published